Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Year Round Gardening--WIth Unusual Veggies



One practical aspect of spring-and garden dreaming I'm doing is trying new foods.  I bought The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year by Niki Jabbour for my husband for Christmas, but I am starting to realize that I might have purchased it for myself.  Anyway, I figured that if this woman who lives in Canada can garden year-round, I should be able to at least stretch the growing season out here in the Midwesterm state where I live. 

The problem is that most of the vegetables that she marks as winter crops are ones I've never heard of.  So I have made two lists.  The first is the list of vegetables that I am already willing to eat.  (My beloved accuses me of being singularly unadventurous...)

tomatoes
potatoes
lettuce
carrots
beans
peas
broccoli
cucumber
celery
corn
melons
chives
onions
basil
garlic
parsley
cabbage
spinach
sage

I am willing to try:
arugula
kohlrabi
leeks
mache
pak choi
Swiss chard
tatsoi
parsnips (maybe)
rutabagas (maybe)

He bought arugula at the grocery store on Saturday, so we'll see how that goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment