Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Painting for His Birthday


I made this for The Magician for his birthday.  It’s a sturdy thrift store frame that I had gessoed over ages ago and met to use as the top for a little coffee table.  I was really nervous to give it to him because abstract is a kind of love it or hate thing.   The only reason I was gutsy enough to try it is that he had admired a board with a hole drilled in it that I keep near my easel and smear left-over paint on.  (I hate to waste paint!)  

I tried to do something similar. 

First I wrote a message in slightly puffy paint.  Then I painted, trying to balance the colors and to convey a sense of energy.  I started with lighter colors like yellow, and was quite generous with them, as they can always be easily covered up.

The final results probably would have looked better with more planning.  However, it did brighten up his office at work.

(Yes, the photo on the wall is Harry Houdini!)

No comments:

Post a Comment