Friday, May 2, 2014

Article on sustainable living

I keep finding people who are living my life.....

Not sure how I feel about that!

This article is about a couple in Texas with two small children who live "off the grid"-- their hosing, including electricity and plumbing, is DIY.  Their annual budget is $9,600 a year, which means they only have to work (freelance) 5-10 hours a week.

In reality, I realize that this would be an enormous amount of work, including lots of physical labor..  But we would be working for us, not someone else.  And the challenge would interesting, plus it would match a lot of things I value: independence, DIY, frugality, avoiding processed foods, creating...

My guess is that we will opt for a compromise someday.  A compact, carefully designed passive-solar house on-the-grid with a masonry wood stove, a large garden, an orchard, bees, and rain-water collection.  We'll have income from investments as well as my freelancing and art.  And we probably won't be able to even consider it for at least 15 years.  But every year of living frugally and creatively now brings us closer to that possibility, as well as making life now richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment