Monday, May 5, 2014

When Cooking is More Humorous Than Edible....


My dear Aunty M. is thinking about starting an entertaining/cooking blog.  I hope she does.

But here’s what happens when I just try to cook an ordinary family dinner….

I learned from last time.  When my beloved says, “The casserole takes an hour” he means that it COOKS for an hour.  But since there’s an onion that needs to be chopped and meat that has to brown (and then simmer with said onion for 20 minutes) the whole process takes longer than an hour.

I did manage to have food in the oven, if not on the table, when my husband got home.  But I didn’t realize that no one grates a pound sliced American cheese. You just kind of rip it up.  But I tried to grate it, which was messy.  It left a ring of cheese bits around the plate I had tried to grate it on to.  The cheese promptly smeared all over the counter when I tried to brush it off.  Then I reached for the timer, which fell off the edge of the stove and smashed.  So I wrote a note: “Casserole done at 6:32” which is 32 minutes after he got home when I had planned for it to be all done but it took longer to grate the cheese than I’d thought.  I slid out the door to woodworking class, hoping he would find the cheese-smeared counter and broken timer and late dinner humorous.

When I got back, I discovered that 1 cup of uncooked rice meant 1 cup of instant white rice, not brown rice, and that the casserole was crunchy to the point of being inedible.

Yes, Auntie M will have to do that cooking blog instead!

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to have you be a guest on my future blog. Everybody loves a few cooking mis-adventures. Even Julia Child had them. “You should never apologize at the table. People will think, ‘Yes, it’s really not so good.’" -Julia Child

    -Auntie M

    ReplyDelete