Wednesday, March 25, 2015

From my library bag….

by Diane Maurer-Mathison
160 pages
This book is useful as a survey of the many techniques you can do with paper. It doesn't go into depth much about any particular technique.  You can, for example, find entire books on papermaking or marble or collage. So it is more of an inspiration, a reminder of the amazing versatility of paper, then it is a how-to book, even though instructions are included with each technique.  The instructions are fine, but not thorough enough for me.


Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos and Altered Books
by Linda Woods and Karen Dinino
127 pages
Organized around the fears that might keep someone from making an art journal, this energetic book written by two sisters was charming.  It includes techniques, specific journaling prompts, and lots of examples from the sisters' personal journals.  It was fun and accessible and made me want to play, and while I suppose highbrow, hard-core arts-journal-makers might look down their noses at its fairly simple techniques, it's a good starting place.



Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden: Making Pots, Planters, Birdbaths, Sculpture & More
by Sherri Warner Hunter
176 pages
This looks like so much fun!  I really enjoyed this book and I am definitely planning on checking it out again when it is time to make some sculpture for the garden.  It has the right level of detail, plus photos to go with the instructions.  I'm going to try to start with some mosaic paving stones first.  But I really like the idea of working in such a durable medium.  The book also has lots of inspiring photographs from artists with many different aesthetics.  This is definitely on my to do list!

No comments:

Post a Comment